Game of Thrones, a multi-awarded fantasy drama television series, was based on George R. R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire. Loved by millions of viewers, each Season 7 episode averaged 30 million viewers. If you’re a true Game of Thrones fanatic and a cat lover at the same time, wouldn’t Game of Thrones names for cats just be perfect?
The much-loved series is reputed to hold the record number of cast, with more than 250 actors and actresses cast for Season 3. With so many character names to choose from, it would be so much fun and challenging to determine which GoT character most resembles your cat.
Is your cat a Lannister or a Targaryen? You’ll surely find out which Game of Thrones character name will most fit your feline from the extensive list of characters we’ll share with you in this article.
We’ve organized things for you to make the task easier. First off, we’ll take a look at the Great Houses that are constantly involved in the battle for military and political dominion over the Seven Kingdoms. We’ll also take a look at the various notable characters that have added spice and major twists to the story and made Game of Thrones a much more interesting series.
The Great Houses: Cat Names Based on GoT Royal Families
Most of the main characters in the television series are from these Great Houses. In the Seven Kingdoms, these houses are considered as the most powerful—exercising immense authority over their territories and vassals.
In ancient GoT times, there were actually nine areas with seven separate kingdoms before Westeros was unified and ruled by House Targaryen. The seven regions are Winterfell in the north, the Vale, the Riverlands, Westerlands, the Reach, the Crownlands, the Stormlands, and the Dorne in the south.
This list includes the more well-known characters from each Great House. When choosing a Game of Thrones-inspired name for your cat, you may want to use just the first name or the nickname of the character, like Dany or Stormborn for Daenerys, or you can also use the character’s full name, like Jon Snow.
#1: House Targaryen
House Targaryen is the former royal family. They used to rule the Seven Kingdoms from the Castle of the Red Keep but were toppled out of power as a result of Robert’s Rebellion.
- Aerys II Targaryen – called the Mad King, he was the ruler of the Iron Throne of Westeros but was toppled by Robert Baratheon; he is the father of Daenerys.
- Rhaegar Targaryen – firstborn and heir of Aerys II; the Prince of Dragonstone married Lyanna Stark in secret and fathered Jon Snow.
- Daenerys – once just a Targaryen princess in exile, Daenerys Stormborn married Dothraki warlord Khal Drogo after which she became Khaleesi; in the course of her difficult life, she has earned many titles including Mother of Dragons, Queen of the Andals, Queen of Mereen, Breaker of Chains, and the Rhoynar. Great name for a pretty, blond cat who never backs down.
- Master Aemon – the Maester of Castle Black was a wise and humble old man who chose a life of service as a Sworn Brother of the Night’s Watch instead of living his life as a Targaryen royalty. Great name for a cat who’s quiet and gentle.
#2: House Stark
With their seat of power at the Winterfell castle, the Starks are the rulers of the Kingdom of the North. The famous phrase “Winter is coming” is their motto.
- Rickard Stark – He was both the Warden of the North and the ruler of Winterfell until the Mad King had him and his son Brandon executed.
- Eddard (Ned) Stark – heir of Rickard Stark, he inherited the titles Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North. Married to Catelyn Tully, he fathered Robb, Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Rickon. He was a noble and honorable man whose death and execution became one of the defining moments in the series. A great name for a cat who’s made an impact in your life.
- Robb Stark – firstborn of Ned and Catelyn, he was a good man, albeit naive, who believed that good would always triumph over evil; during the War of the Five Kings, Robb was declared King in the North. Great name for a kind-hearted cat.
- Sansa – raised as a proper lady, she only once dreamed of being a princess or a queen but after enduring so much pain, loss, and hardships, she transformed into a strong woman and now heads House Stark. A name for your beautiful, tough female cat.
- Arya – the second daughter of Ned and Catelyn, Arya is not interested in ladylike pursuits. Rather, her interests lay in warfare and training; she trained as a Faceless Man and has reinvented herself many times over the course of the series. She survived many hardships by becoming a water dancer and a Blind assassin.
- Brandon Stark – little Bran was crippled by Jaimie Lannister. He has the power to have visions, and he is a warg, able to project his consciousness and thoughts into an animal’s body. If you think your cat is secretly a human because he’s so intelligent, this could be the name for him.
- Jon Snow – Jon is honorable, kind, and intelligent. At first, he was thought to be the bastard son of Eddard Stark, but it was revealed later on that his parents are Lyanna Stark and Rhaegar Targaryen. Born as Aegon Targaryen, Jon Snow eventually became the Night Watch Lord Commander, was murdered in a mutiny, was brought back to life by Melisandre, and became King in the North. For tough male cats.
#3: House Greyjoy
Lords from this Great House rule the Iron Islands, with their seat at the Castle of Pyke. Currently, this house is divided, with two competing claimants to the House leadership swearing allegiance to the Lannisters and the other to the Stark/Targaryen faction.
- Balon Greyjoy – Lord of the Iron Islands, he is the father of Theon Greyjoy.
- Yara – she is the older sister of Theon; an Ironborn, she is the fierce captain of the Black Wind.
- Theon – youngest son of Balon, he became hostage and ward of Eddard Stark after the unsuccessful Greyjoy Rebellion; while he was a captive of Ramsay Snow, Theon was forced to answer to the name Reek.
- Aeron “Damphair” – uncle of Theon and Yara, Aeron Greyjoy is a Drowned Man pledged to serve the Drowned God. For cats that love water.
#4: House Baratheon
This Great House ruled the Stormlands as the Lords Paramount of the Stormlands. The House Baratheon seat of power is called Storm’s End. In Season 1, Robert Baratheon was the king of Westeros after he successfully waged Robert’s Rebellion. When Robert became king, House Baratheon was split into three branches, one for each Baratheon brother.
- Robert Baratheon – leader of Robert’s Rebellion, he successfully toppled and replaced the Mad King; he was once a fierce warrior, but he was killed while hunting.
- Stannis Baratheon – ruler of House Baratheon of Dragonstone and younger brother of Robert Baratheon; he is a brooding and humorless man obsessed with his own sense of justice. If your cat is kind of aloof, this could be a suitable name for him.
- Renly Baratheon – youngest brother of Robert, he is the Lord of House Baratheon of Storm’s End; after Robert’s death, he laid claim to the Iron Throne and married Margaery Tyrell to foster his alliance with House Tyrell, but he was killed by a Shadow sent by Melisandre.
#5: House Tyrell
House Tyrell used to rule the Reach as Lords Paramount of the Reach and Wardens of the South from their seat of Highgarden. Although House Tyrell figured prominently in the initial seasons of the series, recent events saw the extinction of the House as their matriarch was killed at the Sack of Highgarden.
- Luthor Tyrell – father of Mace Tyrell; he was the head of House Tyrell and the Lord of Highgarden.
- Olenna Redwynne – the Queen of Thorns; the matriarch and leader of House Tyrell after her husband Luthor died. For tough female cats.
- Loras Tyrell – son of Mace, also known as Knight of the Flowers; as a tourney knight, he was famous both for his skills and good looks. A great name to pick if you think your cat is perfect just the way he is.
- Margaery Tyrell – daughter of Mace, she became Queen Consort after her father married her off to King Joffrey, and then later to King Tommen after Joffrey died.
#6: House Martell
House Martell ruled the Peninsula of Dorne. Once led by Prince Doran Martell, the House became extinct after the prince and his heir were both killed by Ellaria Sand. The Sand Snakes, having Martell blood owing to their father Oberyn, continued to use the Martell sigil.
- Doran Martell – the Lord of Sunspear and Prince of Dorne; elder brother of Elia and Oberyn and father of Trystane.
- Trystane Martell – son and heir of Doran.
- Oberyn Martell – the Red Viper of Dorne, youngest sibling of Doran and Elia; famous for his fighting skills and fiery temper. If your cat likes to fight, make sure you can tell if he is playing or fighting so you’ll be able to step in when needed.
- Ellaria Sand – a bastard of House Uller, she was the lover of Oberyn; fueled by her lover’s death, Ellaria led the Coup in Dorne, together with her daughters Obara, Nymeria, and Tyene. Good for rebellious female cats.
#7: House Lannister
House Lannister currently holds sway over the Seven Kingdoms through Queen Cersei, after the extinction of House Baratheon. The Lannister seat of Power in the Westerlands is Casterly Rock. As the royal house, the Lannisters also rule from the Red Keep of Kings’ Landing in the Crownlands.
- Tywin Lannister – stoic, calculating, and extremely intelligent, the Lord of Casterly Rock and Warden of the West served as a competent Hand of the King several times. For shrewd and crafty cats.
- Joanna Lannister – beloved of Tywin, the only person he showed feelings for; mother of Cersei and Jaimie, she died after giving birth to her third child, Tyrion. We all want our pregnant cats to give birth smoothly. You should probably read this article on how long are cats pregnant so you’ll know what to expect.
- Cersei – Jaimie’s twin and lover, mother of Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen; the widow of King Robert Baratheon, she assumed the throne after all her children died. Just like her father, she is cold and ruthless, as well as ambitious, cunning, arrogant, impatient, and not nearly as good a leader as she thinks she is.
- Joffrey – the bastard son of Jaimie and Cersei, crowned king after Robert died.
- Tommen – youngest son of Cersei and Jaimie, the only fair-haired “Baratheon”; even before he ascended the throne after his father died, he was already arrogant, spoiled, childish, and sadistic. Great name for a fair-haired cat.
- Jaimie – eldest son of Tywin and Cersei’s twin and lover; also the father of Cersei’s bastard children. He is also known as Kingslayer for killing the Mad King. He is considered the best swordsman in Westeros. He is arrogant and disdainful, ruthless and blunt, but it can’t be denied that he made a name for himself. If you’ve got a show cat, this name could be a great choice.
- Tyrion – the dwarf youngest child and heir of Tywin. Very intelligent and witty, a great strategist, and keen at reading people; all these skills have helped this little man weasel out of any situation he couldn’t have handled using physical strength. Great name for a Dwarf cat or a Munchkin.
- Kevan Lannister – Tywin’s younger brother; he was serious and reliable, and one of the most loyal officers of the Lannister military. For cats that tolerate you and no one else.
#8: House Tully
House Tully was the former rulers of the Riverlands until the House was exiled. Currently headed by Lord Edmure Tully.
- Hoster Tully – Lord Paramount of the Riverlands and father of Catelyn Tully; he brokered the alliance with House Stark by marrying his daughter to Eddard.
- Catelyn Tully – wife of Eddard (Ned) Stark; a devoted and loving mother, she was protective of her children. She was intelligent and dutiful as well as mature and pragmatic. Is your cat going to become a mother? If you don’t know the answer to that question, best read our article on how to tell if a cat is pregnant.
- Brynden Tully – the Blackfish; he is the younger brother of Hoster and is a knight. He led the campaign to retake Riverrun from House Frey.
- Edmure Tully – son and heir of Hoster. He has the iconic Tully look, with deep blue eyes and auburn hair; he can be sullen when he is angry. A name for a cat that’s still cute even when he’s trying to ignore you.
#9: House Arryn
Their territory is the Vale of Arryn which was integrated with the Kingdom of the North when Jon Snow was king. Currently, this Great House is allied with House Targaryen and is headed by Lord Robin Arryn who rules the territory from the Castle of the Eyrie.
- Jon Arryn – his titles include Lord of the Eyrie, Warden of the East, and Defender of the Vale; married to Lysa Tully. He was prudent and wise and served as Robert Baratheon’s Hand of the King.
- Robin – his nickname is Sweetrobin; son of Lysa and Jon. He became ruler of the Vale after his parents died.
#10: House Frey
House Frey used to be just vassals to House Tully, the rulers of the Riverlands. House Frey usurped the position and rose to power, taking over the territory.
- Walder Frey – he is the head of House Frey and Lord of the Crossing; he is known for having married several times and having countless bastards. He is lecherous, domineering, arrogant, and tyrannical.
- Lothar Frey – son of Walder, he is also called Lame Lothar because of his pronounced limp. Even if your cat walks with a limp, you know he’s perfect the way he is.
Game of Thrones Unforgettable Characters
With a cast composed of several hundreds of actors, there are so many notable characters in the Game of Thrones series. Here are a few who have made truly unforgettable contributions to the success of the series, and tugged the hearts of millions of fans in the process. Some of these characters were fun to hate, though.
- Sandor Clegane – The Hound; he is unquestioningly obedient but has a nasty temper. For normally quiet cats that can sometimes go off the rails.
- Khal Drogo – The Great Khal, chieftain of the nomadic horse-lords Dothraki; muscularly built, he has black eyes, copper skin, and long dark hair. He is the charismatic and intelligent husband of Daenerys.
- Petyr Baelish – known as Littlefinger, he served as Master of the Coin under Kings Robert and Joffrey. A short man of slender build with laughing grey-green eyes, he is a master manipulator. For cats that always know how to weasel some treats out of you.
- Melisandre – a red priestess in service to the god R’hllor, she is also called “The Red Woman.” She is a shadowbinder, has prophetic powers and was in service to Stannis Baratheon; after bringing Jon Snow back to life. For cats that bring light back into your life.
- Ygritte – a red-haired archer, she is a wildling who became Jon Snow’s lover; round-faced, she has blue-grey eyes and a pug nose. Could make a nice name for a Persian cat.
- Samwell Tarly – Jon Snow’s best friend; Sam is a peaceful man who is fond of books and music but was forced to join the Night’s Watch. He is fat and dark-haired. If your cat shares these characteristics, then you’ve just found the perfect name for him.
- Jorah Mormont – an exiled knight, he worked as a mercenary and ended up being a spy for Varys; he became one of the Khaleesi’s trusted companions. For a cat who’s always by your side.
- Daario Naharis – Daenerys’ advisor, enforcer, and eventual lover; he is a Tyroshi who once worked as an officer in a sellsword company. This bearded warrior is brutal and faithless, reckless and hot-tempered. Hot-tempered cats need a way to channel all that energy, so you should learn the proper ways to play with them.
- Hodor – huge and brutally strong, Hodor is mentally challenged but extremely loyal. For your not-so-bright but cute cat.
- Osha – a Wildling who later became a bodyguard to the two youngest Stark siblings. Loyal and shrewd, Osha’s name is a great pick for an intelligent cat.
- Brienne of Tarth – a skilled warrior, she used to be part of Renly Baratheon’s Kingsguard; unusually tall and huge, she entered Catelyn Stark’s service after Renly’s death. For your big-boned female cat.
- Davos Seaworth – the Onion Knight is a former smuggler who became a knight while serving Stannis Baratheon. He later joined the other Northern Lords when they proclaimed Jon Snow as the King in the North. The Onion Knight makes a funny name for your cat, don’t you think? Don’t go feeding your cat onions, though.
Because there are literally several hundreds of characters in the series Game of Thrones, unfortunately, we cannot cover them all in this article. Hopefully, the list of GoT characters presented here will help you find the most appropriate GoT-inspired name for your feline pet.
If you have another Game of Thrones character in mind, feel free to share your comments and suggestions with us. Which name did you pick for your pet? We’d love to hear all about it! If you couldn’t find a suitable name, perhaps this list of cat names from other movies will serve you well.